Moving from home to a student residence is often exciting and overwhelming at the same time. Above all, when packing. So far, you have probably accumulated so many belongings that you don't know what to take with you and what to leave behind.
So that you’re not missing anything and do not have to do last minute purchases when you arrive at the university residence, we will give you some tips. In addition, we will tell you the essential objects to take.
Avoid taking too many things
Remember that it is very likely that you will live in the residence with other students, and will therefore have to share the space with them. You don't want to make anyone uncomfortable with belongings strewn all over the room, so it's best to bring only the essentials.
Also, consider that you could share some objects with your colleagues, such as cleaning utensils. Therefore, a good option is to buy them while you are there to share the cost equally.
Find out what the residence offers
Before you start packing your bags, make sure you know all the features that the student residence includes. Contact the staff in charge to be sure of what you need to bring.
Essential items for your room
Most dormitories include basic bedroom furniture. This includes:
- Desk lamp
- Waste bin
However, you will need some essential items such as:
- Blankets and quilts
- Clothes hangers
- Laundry basket
It is important that you know what size the bed is, since the sheets, covers, and pillows depend on that.
What you need for your bathroom
First, pack all your toiletries and personal care items such as soap, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, toothpaste, and toothbrush.
This also includes hair products, as well as hair dryers and straighteners in case you usually use them.
Other items you should take for your bathroom are:
- First aid kit and medicines
- Bath mat
- Body and hand towels
If you are moving into a student residence with an electric stove, you will need to bring these items with you:
- Pots and pans
- Dinnerware set of at least four plates, bowls, cups and glasses
- Cutlery. Again, a set of four knives, forks, and spoons would suffice.
- Kitchen utensils such as wooden spoons, ladles, spatula, strainer, and scissors
- Knives and cutting board
- Plastic or glass containers for storing leftovers
- Kitchen towels
Considering that you are moving away from home, it is important to have all your important documents on hand. You may need them to do some university paperwork or in your day-to-day life.
- Identification / Passport
- Health insurance
- Vaccination history
- Debit and credit cards
- Bank documents
- University acceptance letter
- Driver's license
Essential cleaning supplies
To clean the residence and wash clothes you will need to take:
- Laundry detergent
- Washing-up liquid
- Toilet brush
- Cleaning cloths
- Bin bags
However, as mentioned earlier, a good alternative is to buy this upon arrival at the residence. This will save you space in your luggage. Considering that these objects are usually shared, you also can share the cost of the products among all the occupants of the residence.
Other things you will need
These items are just as essential as the ones above, so be sure to make room for them:
- Notebooks, books, stationery, pens, and everything you need to attend classes and study
- Diary to organise your schedules and routines
- Electronic equipment such as your computer, kindle, or anything else that is useful to you, with their respective chargers
- Clothesline for drying clothes
- Umbrella for rainy days
- Formal clothing, since in the university there are usually presentations and meetings that require this type of clothing
Now that you know what are the essential objects that you must take to the residence, we will mention some of the optional ones. These are not essential, but they will make your room a more comfortable and homely place.
- Posters or pictures to decorate the walls
- Photo frame to place on the desk and remind your family and friends
- Fragrance diffuser so your room always smells good
- Board games to have fun with your roommates
The student residence will be your new home for years to come, so we recommend bringing whatever makes you feel at home.